Coffee is without a doubt the hot beverage of choice in convenience stores and the number one subcategory of the hot dispensed beverages category, generating 77% of the category’s sales. A well designed coffee center will increase sales in this category and boost your overall bottom line.
Here are five tips for creating a profitable coffee center:
- Placement. Behind the counter or deli will create a barrier to consumer demand, reduce turnover and sales. Ideally located, brewed coffee will be immediately visible to the customer when walking through the door.
- Lighting and Merchandising. A well lit, bright coffee area with clean, clear signage including product pricing and brand imaging so the area looks and feels like coffee will engage customers.
- Aesthetics. Remember that you are competing with nationally branded coffee houses. Creating a “coffee house” look and feel to your coffee area will increase consumer confidence in your product. Simple laminate and color selections can make a world of difference.
- Organization. The service counter should flow from the easiest and quickest sale to the condiment area where customers may spend more time to fix coffee, or experiment with the condiments.
- Space and speed. Accommodating the customers who are quickly picking up coffee en route; or the customers savoring their coffee experience. A common problem issue is that retailers don’t build the coffee area for volume. Coffee is a very time-intense business. It all happens in relatively short period of time. Too little attention to how customers use the area can have them crossing each other during the purchase process, which will turn some off, create confusion and slow checkout.
At PES Design Group we are specialists in Restaurant, Food Service and C-store design and have a staff of knowledgeable consultants with over 25 years of experience in planning innovative, attractive, efficient and profitable C-store facilities. We will use our years of experience to design innovation and uniqueness into your project helping you to set yourself apart from the rest. We can provide you with a remodel design that will help you achieve a greater positive customer experience, top your competition and increase profits!
Don’t take our word for it! Visit our portfolio page at portfolio.pesdesigngroup.com for a list and photos of projects our consultants have done during their 25+ years in the C-store Design Industry as well as testimonials from very satisfied clients.
About the Consultant
Jim Richards (Sr) is a Principal Design Consultant and C-store Specialist with the PES Design Group, Midwest Office. During his 25 years of experience in the C-store Design Industry, Jim has designed many c-stores that are modern, innovative, efficient and most importantly… PROFITABLE.