Blast chillers are often seen as a luxury or specialized product primarily used in large-scale cooking establishments like hospitals, universities, and cafeterias. However, the truth is that almost any kitchen can benefit from incorporating a blast chiller into their operation, especially in the current circumstances.
In a challenging economy, kitchen operators are facing difficulties with staffing, resulting in reduced menu options, shorter operating hours, and increased labor costs. With the ongoing labor shortage affecting the industry, maximizing productivity has become increasingly crucial. Fortunately, there is a solution that can potentially help address these challenges—a Cook/Chill System utilizing a Blast Chiller. This relatively straightforward process integrates cooking, chilling, holding, retherm, and serving in a streamlined operational flow.
Blast chillers are a powerful tool that can help commercial kitchens improve food safety, quality, and workflow. By rapidly chilling food after cooking, blast chillers can help to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. They can also help to preserve the flavor and texture of food, and they can speed up the process of chilling or freezing food.
Benefits of Blast Chillers:
- Versatility: Blast chillers work well with both solid and liquid food products, regardless of portion sizes, whether small or large.
- Improved food safety: Blast chillers can help to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria by rapidly chilling food to safe temperatures. This is especially important for foods that are high-risk for foodborne illness, such as poultry, seafood, and ground beef.
- Improved food quality: Blast chillers can help to preserve the flavor and texture of food by preventing the loss of moisture. This is important for foods that are delicate, such as fish and vegetables.
- Improved workflow: Blast chillers can speed up the process of chilling or freezing food. This can free up time for other tasks, such as preparing food or serving customers.
Additional Benefits of Blast Chillers:
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, blast chillers can also help to:
- Reduce food waste: When food is cooked and then held at room temperature for too long, it can spoil and become unsafe to eat. Blast chillers can help to reduce the amount of time that food spends at room temperature, which can help to reduce food waste.
- Improve employee safety: Blast chillers can help to reduce the risk of foodborne illness among employees. By quickly chilling food, blast chillers can help to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Increase customer satisfaction: Customers are more likely to be satisfied with food that is fresh and of high quality. Blast chillers can help to ensure that food is served fresh and at the optimal temperature.
How to Choose a Blast Chiller:
When choosing a blast chiller, there are a few factors to consider, such as the size of your kitchen, the types of food you cook, and your budget. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Size: Blast chillers come in a variety of sizes. Choose a chiller that is large enough to accommodate the amount of food you need to chill.
- Types of food: Some blast chillers are designed for specific types of food, such as poultry or seafood. Choose a chiller that is designed for the types of food you cook.
- Budget: Blast chillers can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Choose a chiller that fits your budget.
By incorporating a blast chiller into their kitchen operations, establishments can benefit from improved efficiency, cost savings, and enhanced food quality and safety. It is a valuable investment that can assist kitchens of all sizes in these challenging times.
At the PES Design Group our mission is: “Designing functionally innovative, attractive and profitable c-store and food service facilities on time and on budget”. Our promise to you is, that whatever your project may be, we will approach it as unique. We will use our years of experience to design innovation and uniqueness into your project helping you to set yourself apart from the rest. We will also use innovation to solve challenging issues such as space, time and budget constraints.
About the Consultant
Jim Richards (Jr) is President of and Food Service Consultant with PES Design Group. During his 30+ years of experience in the Food Service Design Industry, Jim has encountered countless design challenges that he has successfully overcome through experience, innovation and a wealth of knowledge about efficient kitchen design and foodservice equipment.
Call us today for a FREE consultation about your project! 800.850.6638